Second week of classes has now come and gone…
Can I just say that my Latin America Prof. is HOTTTTTT! Hahaha ok but seriously, the man is easy on the eyes 😉 Love you babe!
So I prepped for the week on Sunday, but that doesn’t mean I’m out of the woods for dinner meals. Since I am hyper organized I wrote out the week’s meal plans on the fridge calendar. Monday was leftover from the yummy one pot caprese pasta salad we had on Sunday. Since I had class until ten I made sure to eat a later lunch and bring a sandwich to have during the break.
Because I had class again tonight I made a crock pot meal for us to have for dinner. It’s a cream of chicken and brown rice soup. Since I get home so late from class, at 10:30, I prefer not to eat that late I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to try it, but the boyfriend said it was delicious so woo! I made Kristi and I a huge Mexican kale salad to eat during our break tonight. It was so easy to put together and I had everything here at the house already! I also attempted to make cauliflower bread sticks-it was my first try, but they didn’t come out too bad. I think if I make a few adjustments the next time will be spot on!
I’m really enjoying cooking new things…and pinterest has become my addiction! Not only because I am finding so many yummy things, but because it leads me to some really awesome blogs written by people who are trying to do the same thing as I am. Technology is a wonder.
To bed I go!
Here are the recipes for what I made today:
Slow cooker cream of chicken and rice soup-
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice (this is not the quick type of rice)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 2 fresh sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast….about two breast filets, cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat free
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
Add all ingredients, except milk and cornstarch, to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is cooked and carrots and rice are tender.
Before turning off the slow cooker, whisk together milk and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl, add to slow cooker and stir. Cover, and continue cooking until soup has thickened, about 10 minutes.
My boyfriend have Chrons disease so I skipped on the celery and onions and it tasted just fine, so if you don’t like something skip it! It makes about eight servings, which is 1 cup for a serving at 180 calories. It’s so simple to get together and it really hits the spot with these cold winter nights!
Mexican Kale salad:
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 4 cups baby or full-grown kale (stalks removed & coarsely chopped), packed
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used my cooked beans)
- 1 cup corn (thaw if using frozen)
- 2 large bell peppers (any colour), finely chopped
- 1 + 1/2 large avocado, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp jalapeño peppers, seeded & minced
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the dressing I used my magic bullet to blend it up, but a regular blender would also do the trick or a food processor if you have one.
As for the cauliflower bread sticks, I’ll post the link here since I wasn’t one hundred percent happy with mine this time around. Hopefully next time I’ll get them perfected!